posted January 29, 2020Hilton - Greater China & Mongolia
With 17 world-class brands across more than 104 countries, Hilton has set the benchmark for hospitality across the world for nearly 100 years. We are looking for the Vice President of Development for North Greater China & Mongolia, you will lead the development activities and agenda across Hilton brands for Full Service, Luxury and All Suites categories in the Greater China & Mongolia (GCM) market and elevate the Development team capabilities across the region. As directed by SVP, Development, GCM, they will set the strategy, plan, direct, execute and manage the introduction and expansion of Hilton brands in the region. The long term objective is to move from management to a “franchise plus” model.
The role holder will direct others across the North GCM development team to ensure all development goals, key measurements and targets are met or exceeded.
Responsibilities of the Vice President, Development North GCM will include but are not limited to the following:
• Develops strategies and directions for growth of the Hilton brands in the GCM market, constantly evaluate efforts to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of the approach.
• Build, develop and manage relationships with existing and prospective investors and generate development leads in the market.
• Through formulation and deployment of a diverse network of contacts,
• Pursue strategic capital relationships with institutional investors (e.g. sovereign wealth funds, insurance companies, private equity firms and high net worth investors) that actively invest in hotels and resorts with the goal of partnering on new transactions that will expand Hilton’s market share in China.
• Develops the strategic planning and coordination of the Development team to advance Company goals, while communicating key messages to internal and external stakeholders.
• Develops the appropriate objectives for the team and directs the methodologies by which those objectives are going to be accomplished.
• Works with internal stakeholders and the Development team in executing Management Contracts with significant investment and high profile or complicated development deals.
• Provides direction and directives to the team in the performance of their duties, establishing work priorities and in achieving management objectives.
• Works with Brand, Operations, Franchise Development, Human Resources, Legal and Finance leadership alongside the SVP Development GCM to ensure the strategic direction of the team is consistent with and supported by these areas.
• Leads the grouping and assignment of tasks, while ensuring optimal allocation of resources.
• Establishes the flow of authority and communication between position and levels within the organization.
• Implements measurements of company policy and of the team to ensure effectiveness, usage and awareness.
• Provides direction and leadership to team members.
• Determines staffing needs and oversees the recruiting, selecting, hiring, training and developing of direct team.
• Works with direct reports on goals to assist in accomplishing department initiatives, and their own career objectives.
• Assesses actual performance against standards to determine whether the department is on target to reach its goals and takes corrective actions as necessary.
• Ensures business plans and goals are being followed and achieved, providing feedback or revising the plan, if needed.
• Establishes and enforces policies and procedures that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the Company.
• Ensures return on invested capital and time resources.
• The VP will participate in a variety of marketing initiatives including conferences.
Development Team for North GCM (3 Developers).
The successful candidate shall be experienced in development of Full Service, All Suites and/or Luxury brands in China. The role holder shall be a master in collaborating with and influencing internal and external stakeholders and a strong leader in bringing people together and motivating the best out of them.
Solid Industry Knowledge and Domain Expertise:
• Equipped with in-depth knowledge of the China market especially Full Service, All Suites and/or Luxury brands and know-how of key features unique to real estate development.
• Proven record of accomplishment of closing deals in the hospitality industry, possesses strong network and is widely connected with institutional investors, landlords, government authorities etc.
• Possesses strong commercial sense and is able to look at bigger picture in terms of full business agenda across functions at the same time of signing deals. Has breadth and depth in knowledge.
Strong Stakeholder Management Skills:
• A good listener who understands the agenda and interest of internal and external stakeholders; able to effectively communicate with influence and engage stakeholders to drive development plans forward.
• Can get things done with informal structure, dynamics and culture of an organization; equipped with high emotional intelligence to gain alignment and buy-in from all parties.
Team Leadership Skills:
• Can understand, engage and be credible as a mature leader for the team and can bring people together across boundaries to achieve results;
• Is able to foster an energized environment with high morale and cohesion, with proven record in talent coaching and developing to obtain the best out of the team.
• Able to set clear personal and team priorities and establish processes to monitor and track progress and measure results effectively; able to manage multiple priorities with a focus on strategic importance.
• Able to create a sense of urgency in the team and holds self and others accountable for delivering high-quality results on time and within budget; willing to try everything and think outside to box to ensure that targets are met which have a real business impact.
• A strong-willed individual with a passion to make an impact and ability to roll up sleeves and get things done.
• Possesses a high level of professional and personal integrity, positive energy and a strong desire to achieve, combined with a can-do spirit and action-oriented personal style.
• Be able to adapt into the dynamic working environment with a fast pace working attitude, coupled with flexibility, sensitivity and openness in approach and work style.
Required Skills & Qualifications
• Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree.
• Minimum Years of Experience: 10+ years working in hospitality development and/or operations.
• Minimum Years of Specialized Experience:
• 5+ years in the negotiation of full service development deals
• 3+ years in the negotiation of high-value, complex hotel deal agreements.
• 3+ years working in cross-functional teams and experience in a matrixed corporate operating model.
• 3-5 years developing Managed and Franchise hotel agreements.
• Management Experience (type): Managerial
• Minimum Years of Management Experience: 3-5 years
• Additional Requirements (i.e. % of travel time, etc.):
• Ability to travel as required (approximately 50%)
Fluent in English.
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!
4205, Bund Centre 222 Yan An Road
East Shanghai, 200002
We believe Hospitality isn’t just a job; it’s a journey of self-discovery, growth, community and cultures. Our Team Members are extraordinary professionals who work together to deliver exceptional experiences for all who walk through our doors. As we continue to grow and innovate, our Vision “to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality” has never faltered. We are more than a room for the night. We create heartfelt experiences for Guests, meaningful opportunities for Team Members, and a positive impact in our Communities.